What is Spedra?
Spedra is a branded medication for the treatment of erectile dysfunction in men. The active ingredient, a PDE-5 inhibitor called Avanafil, was first developed in Japan and was approved in the US in 2012.
Spedra is a particularly fast acting ED treatment. A single dosage enables most patients to achieve a firm erection within as little as 15 minutes. Although relatively new, Spedra has become a popular treatment for UK men seeking to overcome erectile dysfunction.
How does Spedra work?
Spedra is a convenient erectile dysfunction treatment that allows you to have sex at the time of your choosing. Simply swallow one tablet before sexual activity. You may notice the initial effects in less than a quarter of an hour after taking a single tablet. The concentration of the active ingredient Avanafil will generally peak in your bloodstream during the next 15 minutes. The effects of Spedra may last for up to 5 hours
Spedra is a useful treatment for men who want to have sex spontaneously. Avanafil, the active ingredient in Spedra, is currently the fastest acting PDE-5 inhibitor, known on the market and is comparable to many other popular ED treatments in terms of duration.
Can anyone use Spedra?
Spedra has been on the market for over 5 years as a licensed medication. It has proved to be a safe and effective treatment for the majority of users. Spedra has a reputation as a medication that causes relatively few side effects.
Unless you have certain specific medical problems, or are using a small number of non-compatible prescription medications, you will be able to use Spedra safely.
When you complete your confidential medical questionnaire, our online Doctor will immediately review your health profile and confirm that Spedra is the right medication for your needs.
Please read the Side Effects section for full information about whether Spedra is suitable for you.
What doses of Spedra are available?
DoktorABC’s online Doctor will review your health profile and approve the dosage that matches your medical needs.
Spedra tablets are available at DoktorABC in 3 sizes. The mg-measure refers to the amount of active ingredient Avanafil in each tablet:
- Spedra 50 mg
- Spedra 100 mg
- Spedra 200 mg
Most patients are initially given 100 mg tablets. Experience has shown that this is the optimal dosage for new users, and it can be adjusted as required.
Younger men (whose erectile dysfunction often has psychological causes) may begin their treatment with a 50 mg dosage. Men over the age of 70 may also receive an initial 50 mg prescription because they are potentially more vulnerable to adverse side effects.
How to Take Spedra
Swallow a single tablet with a glass of water 15 - 30 minutes before commencing sexual activity. The effects of a tablet may last up to 6 hours.
Do not take more than one tablet at a time. It is generally not recommended to use Spedra on a daily basis. If you want to have sex more than twice a week you may consider a different brand of erectile dysfunction medication such as Cialis Daily.
Our GP will prescribe the most suitable medication for your personal health profile.
For Spedra to be effective you must be sexually aroused. Only use this medication when you are planning to have sex.
As all medications based on PDE-5 inhibitors, Spedra should not be taken in combination with alcohol.
Taking a heavier dosage of Spedra will not result in a better quality or longer lasting erection, nor will it enhance your sexual performance or level of sexual arousal. If you exceed your prescribed dosage you will increase the risk of unwelcome side effects.
What are the side effects of Spedra ?
Although Spedra is a relatively new medication, it has proved to be generally safe over the last 5 years of widespread use. Most patients report either no side effects, or minor side effects that are easily manageable.
Nonetheless, you should be aware of possible adverse reactions before you begin your treatment.
Possible common side effects
Most patients do not experience any significant side effects when using Spedra , but the following common side effects may occur in some users:
- Impaired vision and hearing
- Flushed skin
- Nasal congestion
Possible adverse reactions
Very rarely patients may experience an adverse reaction to Spedra. If you experience any of the following symptoms you should discontinue your treatment and seek immediate medical advice.
- Prolonged erection (If your erection lasts for more than 4 hours you should seek emergency medical attention)
- Drowsiness and severe fatigue
- Back pain
- Hot flushes
- Change in heart rate
- Increased liver enzymes
- Hay fever
- Premature ejaculation
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure
- Stomach pain
- Muscle pain
- Frequent urinary urgency
Your prescription will come with a patient leaflet giving detailed information about the medication, its ingredients, possible side effects and contraindications. Please read this leaflet carefully before you begin taking your tablets, and retain the leaflet for future reference.
If you experience serious discomfort, we recommend that you go straight to your nearest casualty department. In an emergency dial 999.
When not to take Spedra
DoktorABC’s online Doctors generally do not recommend combining any erectile dysfunction medication with excess alcohol. Drinking to excess may reduce the effectiveness of your erectile dysfunction tablet, adversely affect your sexual performance and cause unwelcome side effects.
Do not take Spedra if you:
- You have an allergy to Avanafil or other ingredients in the medication
- You are taking nitric oxide-releasing medicines, such as Amyl Nitrite or Glyceryl Trinitrate, as the combination of the medications can lower your blood pressure
- You regularly take medicines for HIV or AIDS (e.g. Ritonavir or Indinavir)
- You are currently taking medicines for fungal infections such as Ketoconazole or certain antibacterial antibiotics such as Clarithromycin
- You suffer from severe heart disease
- You have had a stroke or heart attack in the last 6 months
- You are taking medication for low or high blood pressure
- You suffer from severe liver or kidney problems
- There is a family history of certain eye problems, such as Retinitis pigmentosa
- You are taking the medicine Riociguat, which is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.
If you are using any of the following medications it is important that you let us know when you complete your confidential medical questionnaire.
- Other PDE5 inhibitors, like Sildenafil or Cialis (Tadalafil)
- so called “alpha-blockers” – for prostate problems or for lowering your high blood pressure
- medicines for an irregular heartbeat (“arrhythmia”) such as quinidine, procainamide,
- amiodarone or sotalol
- antibiotics for infections such as erythromycin
- phenobarbital or primidone – for epilepsy
- carbamazepine – for epilepsy, to stabilise your mood or for certain types of pain
- other medicines that may reduce the breakdown of Spedra in the body („moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors‟) including amprenavir, aprepitant, diltiazem, fluconazole, fosamprenavir, and
If you have any questions about your ED treatment you can login to your DoktorABC account and begin a free confidential consultation with an online Doctor.
You can renew your Spedra prescription at DoktorABC with free next day delivery. Complete our short medical questionnaire by clicking “START YOUR ORDER” at the top of this page.
The Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) is the leaflet included in the pack with a medicine. It is written for patients and gives information about taking or using a medicine. It is possible that the leaflet in your medicine pack may differ from the PDF-version from this website because it may have been updated since your medicine was packaged or the medicine is from another brand.